PDA

View Full Version : the zombie survival guide

dabruce16
10-31-2003, 11:34 AM
i was just wondering if anyone has read the book. THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE by Max Brooks. i am reading it now and it is quite good.

avenger00soul
10-31-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by dabruce16
i was just wondering if anyone has read the book. THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE by Max Brooks. i am reading it now and it is quite good.

I've been wanting to check that one out. What's it like?

dabruce16
11-01-2003, 10:57 AM
i really enjoy reading it so far. not bad stuff. it talks about what weapons are best suited for the situation and what you should prepare for. there is also zombie encounters in the book. quite interesting. not a bad read.

avenger00soul
11-01-2003, 11:02 AM
i really enjoy reading it so far. not bad stuff. it talks about what weapons are best suited for the situation and what you should prepare for. there is also zombie encounters in the book. quite interesting. not a bad read.

I'll have to check it to it. Sounds like a fun book to read.

dabruce16
11-07-2003, 11:51 AM
there is a great article of this book on fangoria's website.

avenger00soul
11-07-2003, 11:55 AM
there is a great article of this book on fangoria's website.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

avenger00soul
11-15-2003, 10:35 AM
My girlfriend bought this for me yesterday. Just giving it a cursory glance, it looks hilarious. I love the little diagrams.

nightbreed
12-02-2003, 12:28 PM
im sorry but i strongly disagree. Having bought and read it cover to cover I can tell you that he didnt cover one thing I hadnt thought of already. Of coarse Im a zombie purist, so that explains somthing. Alot of it just seemed to be common sense.

I had trouble with the weapons section too. I can't believe he brought up shuriken as a "deadly" weapon. Yeah right. Shuriken are meant as a distractionary device. A la "were about to engage and i throw one at your face as a distraction right before i attack." Seriously if you dissagree try throwing one into a coconut. If you can get one well into a coconut, then perhaps you could get one into a skull. But more realistically a shuriken is going to skip off the rounded bones of the skull/face leaving a fairly serious (but in no way deadly) gash. Even if you get one in the eye its not going to kill them.

To anyone who is planning on buying this book I suggest you go rent resident evil (the game), the romero trilogy, and the 1990 living dead remake. These will teach you everything you really need to know about surviving a zombie encounter, assuming thats what your after. The rest is just common sense. Dont make alot of noise. Guns run out of ammo. Smash head with blunt weapon. Cities = Bad. Etc.

Dr.Kelvinstein
12-21-2003, 08:13 PM
I thought it got tiresome really quick. You and your friends have probably talked about far more interesting scenarios while just goofing on zombies.

dabruce16
01-12-2004, 09:05 AM
the book did get a little tiresome, but it was still a decent read. but nightbreed, when you say that people should play resident evil to teach them everything they need to know about zombies, i think that is horse shit. resident evil is a great game, but as we all know zombies don't die from repeated gun shots to the chests. conkers bad fur day did zombies a whole lot better then resident evil. you actually had to shoot them in teh head to kill them. we need more zombie games where you have to shoot them in thehead to kill them.

Vodstok
01-27-2004, 04:33 AM
A freind of mine and I were once working on a story where the basic premise was
"What if the people caught in a zombie holocaust werent complete idiots". Sounds like what this book proclaims (which is very interesting to me)

We had endless discussions of what would be a good weapon, which ones had what advantages, and how to make a suitable defense.

In the end, the characters would have ended up on one of florida's keys, where they could drive to the mainland if they needed to, but it was easilydefendable (since it's just a small island)